Monday, March 1, 2010

My Name is Carrie, and I'm a Book Addict...

I don't know how it started.

I don't know if it was because my parents encouraged my brother and me to read as children and it just stuck.

I don't know if it was because I ended up being an English major.

I don't know if it was because I studied the Middle Ages and fell in love with the beauty of that era's manuscripts, illuminated or plain.

But somehow, I became addicted to books.

I like a lot of things.  I love crafting and art.  The act of creating or fixing something is extremely fulfilling to me.  I like old stuff.  History and the material leavings of it are fascinating to me.  I like music, and singing is one of my great joys in life.  But I always keep coming back to books.  Reading them, organizing them, browsing through them, just looking at them.  So somewhere along the line I decided that if I must have a job (and I must) it should involve books, and it should involve old ones. 

An archives job and half of a library science degree later, I'm realizing that I don't just want to work with books, I want to fix them.  It's the dextrous element that is otherwise missing.  I've been lucky enough to start working part-time with some very fun conservators, and I'm hoping to expand that into a career.  In the meantime, I'm going to try and keep track of some of the most interesting things I learn here on this blog.  We'll see how well I keep up with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment